If you’re tail-gating or just hungry for a tasty sandwich, here’s a great one to try:
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 10 large pitted green olives (chopped)
- ⅓ cup pitted kalamata olives (chopped)
- ¼ cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1-pound round bread loaf (about 7 inches in diameter)
- 4 ounces thinly sliced ham
- 4 ounces thinly sliced mortadella
- 4 ounces thinly sliced salami
- 4 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- ½ red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1½ ounces arugula leaves
- In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar, garlic, and oregano to blend. Gradually whisk in the oil. Stir in the green and kalamata olives and roasted peppers. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- Using a serrated knife, slice off the top inch of the bread loaf. Hollow out the bottom and top halves of the loaf. Spread some of the vinaigrette in the bread bottom. Layer the meats and cheese in the bottom half. Top with the onion, then the arugula. Spread the remaining vinaigrette on the cut side of the bread top, then replace the bread top. (The sandwich can be made a day ahead. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate.)
- Cut the sandwich into wedges and serve.
Of course, if it looks delicious but seems like a lot of trouble to fix, or maybe you don’t have access to all the necessary ingredients, you can always make a quick trip to Fertitta’s Deli and grab one of their world-reknown Muffy sandwiches. Those delicious creations are hard to beat!