Lemon Ricotta Cake with Almonds
A Delectable Summer Treat
120 g 4.2 ounces butter, softened
200 g 7 ounces caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup lemon zest
4 eggs separated
240 g 8.5 ounces almond meal
300 g 10.6 ounces ricotta
flaked almonds for decoration
icing sugar for serving
- Heat oven to 180 degrees C (356 degrees F) and line the base and sides of a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin with baking paper.
- Place 100g (3.5 ounces) of the castor sugar and the lemon zest in a food processor and blitz until finely ground. Then beat the butter, vanilla and sugar/zest mix together for about 10 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating the mixture well after each egg yolk is added.
- Add the almond meal and beat to combine and then fold the ricotta through the almond mixture.
- Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar to the egg whites and whisk until stiff peaks have formed. Mix a third of the egg whites into the cake mixture, then gently fold in the rest of the egg white mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin, smooth the top and sprinkle with the almond flakes.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool completely in the cake tin before removing.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.